Wickham Lawyers

Parent Visa

The parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or Eligible New Zealand citizen may migrate to Australia on the basis of parent/child relationship provided the parent meets family balance test and other criteria.

You will need to have a sponsor to apply for a parent category visa to live in Australia as a temporary or permanent resident.

A sponsor must be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident, or an eligible New Zealand citizen who:

  • is 18 years of age or over
  • has lived in Australia lawfully for at least two years before the parent lodges their visa application.
There are special provisions for a sponsor under 18 years of age.

Balance of family test

All applicants for a parent visa must meet the balance of family test.

The balance of family test is designed to determine the extent of your links to Australia.

You meet the balance of family test if:

  • at least half of your children live permanently in Australia, or
  • more of your children live permanently in Australia than in any other country.

Parent visas have two major categories: non- contributory and contributory, and six subclasses.

It can be difficult to determine which subclass would best suit you. It is best to talk to our expert immigration lawyers to assist you in making the decision. Get in touch with Wickham Lawyers today!



Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp