Wickham Lawyers

Bridging Visas

A bridging visa is a temporary visa that allows the holder to remain in or travel to or enter and remain in Australia until a specified event happens or for a specified period. The type of bridging visa grant depends on your circumstances.

There are seven classes of bridging visas:

Bridging A Visa – subclass 010

A Bridging A visa (BVA) is a temporary visa that allows you to stay lawfully in Australia whilst your substantive visa application or a merits review application or a judicial review application is being processed. This visa is granted if you apply for a substantive visa while holding a substantive visa. The application for the BVA is generally made at the same time as the application for the substantive visa and usually on the same form. You must be in Australia at the time of a Bridging A visa  application. This visa does not allow you to enter Australia if you leave.

Bridging B Visa – subclass 020

A Bridging B visa allows you to travel overseas and return to Australia. You must hold Bridging A visa or Bridging B visa  at the time of this visa application. You must be in Australia at the time of the visa application and when the visa is granted.

You are required to show that you have a substantial reason for leaving and re-entering Australia and it is not contrary to the public interest.

However, there is no definition of ‘substantial reasons.’

Examples include:

  • Need to travel in relation to employment
  • Visiting seriously ill immediate family member

Attending sibling’s wedding

Bridging C Visa – subclass 030

A Bridging C visa (BVC) provides temporary lawful status during the processing of the visa application as well as during related merits or judicial review. The BVC application is usually made on the same form as the substantive visa application. The applicant must not have held or hold Bridging E visa since the ceasing of their last substantive visa.

The applicant is granted a BVC if he is not holding a substantive visa at the time of another substantive visa application. The BVC does not allow to re-enter if you depart Australia.

Bridging D Visa – subclass 040 and 041

There are two subclasses to Bridging D visa: subclass 040 and 041.

A Bridging D ( subclass 040) visa option is for the applicants who will soon become unlawful and need more time to make a substantive visa application.

A Bridging D (subclass 041) visa option is for the applicants are unlawful and who are unable to or unwilling to make a substantive vis application.

Bridging E Visa – subclass 050 and 051

There are two subclasses to Bridging E visa: subclass 050 and 051.

This visa option is available to certain unlawful non-citizens or the holders of BVD or BE those who will make a relevant substantive visa application, or are making arrangements to depart Australia, or are party to tribunal or court review or applicable Ministerial intervention request.

If you need assistance in applying for any Bridging Visa, get in touch with Wickham Lawyers today!



Click one of our contacts below to chat on WhatsApp